Homemade Kahlua Recipe
Rich and Tasty Caramel Coffee Flavored Liquor
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cups instant coffee granules
- 3 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 cups Vodka
- Optional: 1 or 2 vanilla beans
To Make Homemade Kahlua
- Using a large pot, dissolve sugar into water over medium high heat.
- Add instant coffee granules and bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir every 10-15 minutes as needed for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Mixture will be reduced to a liquid syrup. You may need to stir more frequently right at the end.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and allow to cool another 15 - 30 minutes.
- Stir in vodka.
Note: No worries if mixture has crystallized a little, the vodka will break it back down as long is it is still partial liquid. If you allow it to cool too long it will harden too much. If this happens, simply reheat the syrup and add vodka when it's somewhat cooled down but not hard.
- For gift giving, pour your homemade liqueur into pretty bottles and keep out of direct light by using brown or green glass or by wrapping in a cloth.
Optional: A vanilla bean in the bottle can add a classy and flavorful touch. For more vanilla flavor, cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
Tip: This liqueur tastes best when left in a cool dark place for a couple weeks or even better... months. It also gets smoother with age. It can be kept in the fridge but does not have to be.
Thank you for visiting Homemade Gift Guru at http://www.homemadegiftguru.com