Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Flavored Popcorn Recipes:
Coffee Almond Caramel Crunch
This caramel popcorn recipe makes a unique caramel popcorn enhanced with coffee, lots of almonds and almond flavor plus a gourmet chocolate surprise.
I've seen coffee lovers go ga ga over it and it goes well in coffee gift baskets. Since it has real coffee in it, you will of course want to avoid giving it to children.
If you haven't already, be sure to check out our original Caramel Popcorn Recipe, where I've also put together Top Tips for making caramel popcorn with ease.
Coffee Almond Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Crunchy caramel popcorn flavored with coffee and almonds with a chocolaty surprise... chocolate covered coffee beans!
- 10 - 12 cups of popped pop corn (about 1/2 cup kernels)
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup butter cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup instant coffee (plain, no added sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate covered coffee beans
You'll Also Need:
- Nonstick cooking spray or oil for greasing
- Large bowl (the bigger the better)
- 2 quart sauce pan
- 2 wooden spoons (or other large spoons)
- Large baking sheet
- Measuring spoons and cups
Caramel Popcorn Recipe Instructions:
- Pop popcorn kernels (I air pop mine but any way will work)
- Remove any un-popped kernels that may have snuck into the popcorn
- Apply a heavy coat of cooking spray or rub oil on inside of large bowl
- Pour popcorn into greased bowl and sprinkle almonds over top, lightly agitate so the almonds aren't bunched right on the surface
- Now apply a heavy coat of cooking spray (or oil) to inside of saucepan, baking sheet, spoons, spatula
- Tip - spraying the measuring cup before measuring the corn syrup will help it come out easier too
- Preheat oven to 200° F
- Measure out the rest of the ingredients at this time and set aside
- In saucepan dissolve butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, coffee and salt over medium heat stirring frequently; bring mixture to a boil
- Boil mixture for 4-5 minutes without stirring (or until candy thermometer reaches 250° F)
- Tip - The trick when timing is to start the timer at the very first sign of boiling; if you wait until it is at a full boil to start the clock, your caramel will get way to hard; I highly recommend using a candy thermometer for best results for any candy or caramel popcorn recipe, they are inexpensive
- Remove saucepan from heat and immediately add baking soda, almond and vanilla extracts, stirring quickly as it foams up, sizzles and settles back down
- Immediately pour coffee-caramel mixture over popcorn and mix using both spoons until well coated
- Spoon mixture onto the well greased large baking sheet (I prefer it well greased but some people use parchment paper instead)
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring and flipping popcorn with spatula every 15 minutes
- If desired you can sprinkle chocolate covered coffee beans over mixture, they will melt just a little so don't mix again until completely cool (if you need to firm them up quickly, put the whole tray in the fridge for a few minutes)
- Once cool break apart and store in an airtight container
- Cleanup Tip: Soak sticky caramel covered dishes in hot, soapy water as soon as possible, after a few minutes the caramel will rinse off easily
- Chocolate covered coffee beans add a delicious gourmet touch but they are totally optional depending on how much intense coffee flavor you want.
- The almond flavor can be completely removed from this caramel popcorn recipe by replacing the almonds with another nut or nothing at all and replacing the little bit of almond extract with more vanilla extract.
Printer Friendly Recipe
Important Safety Note: Caramel popcorn is great for kids to eat, not to make. The extremely high temperature of the caramel and the caramel popcorn makes it very dangerous for children. Adults should be very careful to avoid touching hot caramel and hot caramel popcorn when making, mixing and baking caramel popcorn.
Coffee gift baskets and coffee flavored food gifts make particularly great homemade gifts for coworkers, homemade gifts for teachers and homemade gifts for friends, any of which who love coffee. Give them a bag full or...
Keep it simple but gifty with a caramel popcorn filled coffee mug wrapped in cellophane as seen to the right or...
Wrap some caramel popcorn up air tight and place it in a gift basket with complimentary homemade food gifts such as a small bag of gourmet coffee, a coffee mug and some Homemade Kahlua Coffee Liquor for a cute homemade gift.
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?
This site is built and maintained using Site Build It!