Easy to Make
Butterfly Outline Card
Make These Cute Homemade Cards For Kids and Other Butterfly Lovers
Using This Free Card Making Butterfly Template
This butterfly outline card is easy and the design is super flexible. It all starts with a simple but handy butterfly template that you can use to cut out the basic elements of a butterfly.
You can choose your own combination of colors and patterns (I love to use gift wrap for the inside wing pieces). You can also use the free card making butterfly template for the body and a marker for antennae or do what I did and use ribbon and buttons for the body and antennae.
It's optional whether you want to adhere the butterfly wings flat on the paper or use dimensional stickies such as Pop Dots to make 3d cards.
- white 5 x 6 1/2" card blank
- paper: pink, white, pink patterned (above is gingham)
- gift wrap in coordinating colors, such as the butterfly pattern above
- optional: 3 buttons (or use template to cut out body)
- optional: ribbon - about 2" of green 1/4" ribbon (or draw with marker)
- butterfly template
Note: If you need a program to view the butterfly template .PDF you can download Adobe Reader for free here.
- black and white printer
- paper glue
- optional: round dimensional stickies such as Pop Dots
Note: Alternatively you can cut a few small pieces of craft foam and adhere in place of pop dots. The effect should be the same.
To Make a Butterfly Outline Card:
- Print butterfly template on standard typing paper
- Cut pink patterned paper to 5 x 6 1/2"
- Glue to card blank and allow to dry
- Cut white card stock to 4 1/2 x 6"
- Center and glue to front of card and allow to dry
- Tape template to pink paper
- Cut "A" wings
- Tape remaining template to a piece of gift wrap (or patterned paper)
- Cut "B" wings
- Position and glue "B" wings on corresponding "A" wings as shown to the right
- Position the wings and body (buttons and ribbon if you're using them) as desired on card
- Glue the wings down
(to make 3d cards: use dimensional stickies - glue down the inner piece of each wing and place one large sticky dot or 3 small dots near each tip - this will create the look of wings coming up and out from the body
- If using buttons, glue each button with adhesive or using a mini pop dot - or any small round dimensional sticky
- If using ribbon, cut two 1" strips of ribbon with a pointy end
- Glue each small piece of ribbon to look like butterfly antennae
- Allow to dry and your done!!!
To the right is the finished butterfly outline card with Pop Dots under the wings and mini Pop Dots under each button.
And here's one where I did not use Pop Dots...
For butterfly lovers, print out these exclusive free full page butterfly coloring pages:
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For?
This site is built and maintained using Site Build It!